Monday, April 18, 2011

Adventures in Couponing

I've never really been a "couponer".  I found that the coupons aren't usually for anything I "need" or the things I do need, they make me buy multiples when I only need one, or I prefer the store brand which is still cheaper than the national brand with the coupon.  But with a few tips from my sister and a few episodes of Extreme Couponing, I've decided to give it another go. 

I cut coupons for things we need or would want if the coupon makes it cheap enough.  I then compared it to the ads for the stores around us (Martins, Food Lion, Safeway - for some reason, I totally forgot to check Wal-Mart and that's where I do 85% of my shopping!).  Martins is the only store in Culpeper to double coupons, and they happened to have some pretty good deals coinciding with my coupons!  However, I didn't know they only doubled coupons up to .99 cents - NOT $1.  So I was hoping to save an extra $3, but lesson learned and they were still pretty good bargains for a first-time "couponer", imo!

So, Martins had General Mills cereal on sale for 2/$5 and then I had a $1 off two boxes making them $2/each! (I was thinking the coupon would be doubled and I would actually be getting them for $1.50/each)

Duncan Hines brownies were 2/$4 and I had a coupon for $1 off any two boxes.  I picked up marble and double fudge - mmmmmmm.  (Again, I was thinking the coupon would be doubled and it would $1/box)

Finally, we needed 3 different types of salad dressing this week!  Blue cheese for Matt, poppyseed for me (a new friend turned me onto this for sandwiches instead of mayo - scrumptious), and ranch for Hannah (and me when I'm having a weak moment).  Martins had Kraft dressing on sale for 3/$5 and I had a coupon for $1 off any two.  I'm not sure what that makes them (maybe 3/$4?), but still a bargain!

My total before my bonuscard savings was $20.45 and after my bonuscard and three coupons, I paid $11.35 including taxes.  I saved a total of $9.45 - almost half!!

I was pretty stoked despite my thinking that it was going to be $6.45 which would have been an even better steal - but I'm still pretty happy.  I do know that next time, I'll just get these same items at Wal-Mart, since Martin's sales price is the same as Wal-Marts everyday price and since Martin's doesn't double the $1 coupon, I could have saved myself a trip.

Happy Couponing!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with ya on the couponing! On one hand, it's often cheaper to get the generic than it is to get the name brand on sale...so I don't bother much with grocery items. My mom mails me coupons all the time, so I always bring the ones with me I think I'll use. But I often have great luck at CVS and it's so much fun to watch the total go down! When Ellie was using formula and diapers, I would often have a total of $70+, but then I would use formula checks, CVS coupons, regular coupons, etc, and often leave for less than $35! I loved saving HALF of my normal bill! Not as many good deals now that we don't need those particular items, but it's good to watch out for the sales that coincide with your coupons - it's so exhilerating!!

    ReplyDelete