Monday, December 28, 2009

Merry Christmas 2009

Christmas was so exciting this year - I guess because for the first time in a LONG time, it felt like Christmas.  The kids had a great time, Matt had the day off, and we got to spend time with both our families!  First up every year is Christmas Eve at the Purtells.  Matt's ENTIRE family gets together for dinner and gift exchanging and a game of white elephant with the adults.  It really is such a good time and I look forward to it more and more each year.  This year we got a pleasant weird surprise... Santa stopped by for a visit!  

Everyone, except Dylan, was weirded out by him.  His "hair" was a little off, his shirt was tucked into his pants and his pillow stomach was showing.  Emma wouldn't go near him and boldly exclaimed after he left that he was NOT the real Santa!  He was very nice and tried to talk with that deep voice that Santa has, but Matt and I both agreed he was not up to any good!

Once "Santa" left, we all ran downstairs to grab a seat and to open up presents.  The grandkids and great grandkids open up first taking turns from the youngest to the oldest.  Hannah got an awesome kitchen set, a barbie, several outfits including a super soft fleece jacket and a few other toys.  Emma got lots of new earrings, a barbie, a necklace that she absolutely loved, the movie UP and a few outfits too.  Matt got a beloved giftcard to Home Depot, cash, a detachable shower head and a wrestling book.  I got what is by far one of the best gifts of the year - the new Paula Deen Cookbook (I LOVE HER)!!! I also got items for my kitchen that I desperately needed including mixing bowls (an item high up there on my wish list this year!), baking sheets and a blender!  After we opened gifts, the "adults" exchanged gifts in the same manner and then we ended the night playing a game of white elephant - the best part of the night.  I, unfortunately, drew number one and got stuck with a box of space bag storage bags and ended up just watching the rest of the game.  Matt opted to steal an oscillating heater that was stolen back many times before he finally won it!  It has come in VERY handy the last few days in keeping our living room warm and toasty!  Some of the hot items this year were a Tom-Tom GPS system, a $50 gift card to Wal-mart, two sets of dinner and movie gift cards and a dremel tool set.  After that we loaded up the car and headed home; I had a horrible migraine and was ready to go and prepare for Santa's visit.  So we got home around 145am, I think, laid out the gifts and thankfully didn't lose an entire box of Santa gifts this year and was is bed by 230ish.  


THANKFULLY, the kids slept in until almost 10am!!!  Hannah was the first to get up around 915 and Emma followed closer to 10am.  Emma was ready to open up gifts, one after another; Hannah was more patient and wanted to play with everything she opened.  Emma got her beloved Nintento DS and a few games and Gramma Tucky came through with the Dippin Dots Maker!  Santa also brought her a CD player with some CD's for her room.  Santa gave Hannah and Emma the Crayon Maker and I can't wait to try that out!  Hannah got a sock monkey, barbies, some books and some bath toys.  Pop John got them both a new bike this year and unfortunately neither of them seem thrilled.  Emma didn't want it because it didn't have training wheels and Hannah just does whatever Emma does.  I was pretty embarrassed with their reaction but my Dad was a good sport about it.  Around 1, Matt's mom and brother came by to exchange gifts and Matt finally got a normal size coffee maker! Once they left we headed down to my mom's for dinner with Ken's kids and grandkids and my sister, her husband and my nephew.  My mom and step-dad got us this beautiful picture that has our name etched out in a tree with our wedding date on it and t-shirts that say "my husband rocks" and "my wife rocks" courtesty of Union 28.  My mom also either knows my love of calenders/planners or thinks I need to be more organized (not sure how that's possible) but she got me two planners and a wall calender! And my sister totally rocked out by giving me the Big Top Cupcake Maker and a book with awesome cupcake decorations! It was a great time and all the kids had fun running and squealing together.  


Click here to view the rest of my pictures on my Facebook page - most of the ones I took were taken vertically and it's easier to rotate them there! But here is a picture of the third and fourth generations at Matt's family's house Christmas Eve - and since we're now married, I was able to join in the picture this year!








I think all the traveling and staying busy is what it made it feel like Christmas this year, compared to last year when we opened presents and then it was over.  So I happy to report that I had a GREAT Christmas and so did the kids and I hope future Christmas' are just as Merry.  


2 comments:

  1. I want to take part in that white elephant gift exchange!! All the ones I've been part of are usually reject gifts -- that one sounds awesome! So glad you guys had such a great Christmas and that Matt had the day off. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been a fan of the reject ones! Usually people bring something that they wouldn't mind getting stuck with - the heater we won was brought by Matt's Uncle who kept stealing it back from Matt because he actually wanted it! It is always such a good time!

    ReplyDelete