Friday, March 9, 2012

Rocking and Running

I'm actually a little afraid to tell you how well this week went in fear that next week may not be so easy.  I'm trying to remind myself that as the runs get longer it is all mental!!!  I finished week 5 this week which, for the first time, consisted of a different run each day. 

Monday - C25K Day one was a 5 minute run, a 3 minute walk, a 5 minute run, a 3 minute walk and a final 5 minute run before cooling down.  Not bad, but I still didn't have good music to run too so I watch the timer A LOT and it makes it drag oooooooonnnnnnn.

Tuesday - Today I did 20 minutes of Zumba.  Not much but getting through an hour with Hannah's many requests seems to be too much so I thought I would do the half class, but couldn't find it.  So I picked single songs for 20 minutes and worked out.  I love that I burn a ton of calories trying to dance!

Wednesday - C25K Day 2 was two 8 minute runs separated by a 5 minute walk in between.  I was terrified to do this one but I got through it.  The first 8 minute run actually went by really fast so I assumed the second one would as well.  Not so much.  It seemed to drag on. I ran today to three different songs off Third Day's Revelation album.  The first two songs are great running songs and I need to add them to my playlist that I am going to make for Friday's "big run".

Thursday - the day before "the big day".  I began my day with a 40 minute zumba workout (I found that half class I was looking for).  This is hard.  It is so fast that I am having a hard time learning the moves but I burned 250 calories which is 100 more than when I'm running!!   My shins hurt really bad while "dancing" and I had to ice ALL DAY long.  I was afraid this was going to affect Friday's run but it ended up being fine.  The icing really helps. In terms of Friday's run, I knew I needed to make a real running playlist to get my through so I spent some time downloading music.  Then I read some forums about week 5 day 3 and saw that so many people were scared but that it was a breeze.  So between my new playlist and the forum reading I was actually excited for my Friday run.

Friday - C25K Day 3 was "the big day"!!  It was simply a 20 minute run.  I had been terrified since I finished day 2.   But I did it!  I didn't let myself look at the time (I always keep my sweat towel over the display) until 5 songs had gone by.  At that point I had 6 minutes and 6 seconds left - YES!  One and half songs and I would be done.  I felt amazing.  When it was over I actually felt like I could go a bit longer but decided to cool down anyway.  I felt so accomplished and proud of myself.  I actually feel like I'm doing some running - slow or not! 

I feel like I can tackle the world when I finish my runs.  I'm slow but I've read that I need to work on simply building strength to do the full runs and if you are out of breath and can't talk then you are going to fast.  I've had to slow down as the runs get longer, but I get it done.  I'm only like half a step slower than the gal that usually runs a treadmill over from me, so I feel OK!  :) 

I'm down another 1.5 pounds for a total of 6.5 pounds.  Last weekend I went to an scrapbook retreat and didn't move for 48 hours except to eat and go to the bathroom.  I didn't overeat or eat bad except I did have an amazingly delicious hamburger for dinner on Saturday night.  Sunday was a weak day and what I'm counting for only being down 1.5 pounds. 







This is only one pound of fat.  So when I'm down about how slow it's going, I remind myself of this picture!  Only 33 more of these to go!  GROSS!


1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Way to go, Heather!!! It's amazing how quickly the body adapts to it. I'm still in shock! You rock!! :)

    ReplyDelete