Monday, January 17, 2011

A Tribute

The world lost an amazing and incredible person last Friday, but I write that with hesitation because Heaven gained a remarkable soul!  Her name was Lois Herbert-Stroup but to my brother and sister, she was Noie.  I've known her as long as I've been alive and while I wasn't extremely close with her, my brother, mom and aunts were very close with her and her death was and still is extremely hard on them.  I wanted to write this blog because I wanted to share with you her unconditional love and the tolerance she shared. 
She took my mom in as a pregnant teenager who was left with nowhere to go and since I've known Noie, she has taken in anyone or anything that has needed help.  She was always there for you - no judgment, just love. Anyone that knew her will tell you about her love for animals - she always had multiple dogs running around and her passion for taking care of them was obvious.  Her backyard was always full of squirrels, birds and other wildlife there to take refuge knowing they were safe in her care. 
Her smile was always genuine and took up her whole face - the love that she had inside came out with every smile.   She is the type of person that can take the title of hero and not because she fought in a war or fought for a cause but because she was what every person should strive to be.  I don't know a single person who wasn't touched by her love and generosity in some shape or form.  Here are some of the things that were shared on facebook after word of her passing:

  • "Lois was an amazing woman and I know how special she was to your family"
  • "Today we lost one of the greatest people to ever grace us with her presence. We all love you and miss you soo much Noie"
  • "Why can't the people like her be the ones that live forever? She will be missed"
  • "Lois was one of the classiest, coolest, warmest, and compassionate person we've ever met. We loved and enjoyed being with her talking about life. She was a wise woman and so kind hearted. Lois took in strays of all sorts whether it was lost animals or lost souls."
 Her impact was incredible and I hope she knows how special she was to so many people.  She was a mom to those without a mom, an aunt to those without an aunt, a grandmother, a friend, a mentor - she filled every role, easily without question or hesitation.  I hope that she felt the love in return and she knew how much she meant to so many people.  

Thank you Noie for being such a light to so many people in this world, myself included.  I pray that you are resting comfortably in heaven with our Lord and Savior and I pray for the day we meet again.  You will forever be missed and your absence will be noticed, but I pray that your impact made a lasting impression and that your light would transfer into those of us here and we can carry on your legacy.


My brother with Noie - 2009

1 comment: