Saturday, July 31, 2010

Camping

The girls and I went on our first camping trip shortly after school let out! My dad and uncle found a really awesome camping area, Jellystone Park, in Luray, Virginia, only an hour from our house.  Although there were cabins, we roughed it out and slept in a tent for 2 nights (although we used an air mattress)!  Jellystone was very kid friendly with 2 pools, a playground, and planned activities every few hours of every day!  There is also a giant twisting, turning slide for those willing to give it a try.  The best part was that there were even bathrooms and showers to make camping a little bit easier!  
Matt setting up our tent!
The slide - Emma didn't want to go down, so I had to pass too! :(

Friday night Matt drove up with the girls and I and helped us set up our tent.  We cooked burgers and dogs on the grill and waited for everyone to arrive.  My aunt, uncle and 2 younger cousins arrived shortly after we did, and my sister, brother-in-law, and nephew arrive pretty late, after we had already eaten.  They set up camp, and we all got to sit around the fire, talk and have a good time.  Unfortunately, Matt had to leave shortly after that.  

On Saturday, we headed out to Hardee's just like real campers :)  After heading to Wal-mart to get the rest of the supplies we realized we had forgotten and steaks for dinner we headed back to Jellystone! Saturday was miserably hot and yet the pool was uncomfortably cold.  I'm assuming because the nights got pretty chilly, the pool was not able to fully warm up, even during blistering hot days!  But we did spend a lot of time swimming both before and after lunch.  They also had these really awesome jumping pillows that even the grown ups could jump on!
Hannah enjoying corn on the cob - fresh off the grill
Hannah loved these fountains way more than the pool!

Emma on the jumping pillow
Brian doing acrobatics on the bigger pillow - he did flips and all!
Christina and Emma waiting to head to the pool!

Sunday we went to McDonald's for breakfast and then had to go back and pack up.  When we came, Matt drove the girls and I and the car was PACKED.  My dad had driven himself and his entire jeep was PACKED, even the front seat.  Now, we had to figure out how to get all of his stuff and my stuff plus me and the kids into his car - let me tell you, that part was NOT FUN!  But because there is a late check out for those camping, we got to freeze in the pool before heading home!
Trying to get everything packed up!


All in all we had a GREAT time and I can't wait to go back next year.  It's pretty inexpensive and now we have everything we need, hopefully next year Matt will be able to join us!
The kids picnicking with Yogi!
Me and the girls!

1 comment:

  1. You are a braver woman than I - I have NO desire to go camping, even though Paul keeps asking me to. Maybe he can convince me and we can all go together!

    ReplyDelete