Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Thankful

It seems in the last few weeks or months I've been bombarded with stories of mothers having to deal with sick children and I'm not talking about sick as in Emma is home sick from school today with what looks like another round of croup sick (she really is), but sick as in terminal sick.  Maybe it's God's gentle reminder that my everyday frustrations with my kids are nothing and I should be thankful I only have to deal with "Terrible 3 Meltdowns" or the everyday crying over homework with Emma - because my girls are healthy as can be.

I follow a blog called forward motion.  I don't remember how I found it, a blog through a blog through a blog type of thing.  I'll let you read it, but the girl that blogs was pregnant (she just gave birth last night) and found out about half way through her baby's kidneys were not functioning and he would most likely pass away immediately after birth.  She has to grow and carry and nurture and love this baby until she delivered, only to let him go - it was absolutely the most heart wrenching story I've ever read.  I cried with every entry she posted - she poured every emotion into every blog.

I watched Letters to God last night, a movie I've been wanting to see for months.  It's a story about a boy who has brain cancer and writes letters to God, literally putting them in the mail for the mailman to deliver.  It's a journey for every character, but the little boy has the most faith and courage out of anyone I've ever seen.  The movie is based on a true story.  

My sister is 36 weeks pregnant - due to have another little boy.  During her 20 week ultrasound, they thought that there might be some complications.  Although they have been able to rule out some things and little Thomas has grown, they won't fully know the extent of his health until he is born.

These are just three of the more recent stories.  I hate hearing them - I wish children didn't have to suffer and get sick.  I hate that it takes hearing things like this for me to remember to be thankful that my kids are in tip top shape. 

2 comments:

  1. it's so odd you posted about the Delimonts and baby Jake. a former co-worker of mine in Kansas is friends with them from college. she posted a prayer request for baby Jake a couple months ago, but i had never read their blog. it's a small world. such a sad story. i can't imagine all they are going through. best wishes for your sister and her new baby...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just realized I never commented. Wow, I didn't know all of that was going on with Rachel. I knew she had some "issues" at the beginning of the pregnancy with her body, but I didn't know there was anything going on with the baby. I'll keep them both in my thoughts. Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete