Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year's Resolutions

Happy New Year's!  Time to make those resolutions...again!  I've read this past December of sooooo many people saying why they're not making resolutions - they never stick to them, it's silly to change just because it's a new year, etc. etc.  I, however, think it's a perfect time to change.  No one wakes up and says, it's July 17, time to make some changes.  It's always a milestone of some sort, a birthday, the birth of a child, New Years!  And I'm pretty good at sticking to most of my resolutions.  There is nothing like having goals written down on paper, it's a challenge in my mind to accomplish as many as I can before the next year!  So here are my goals/resolutions for 20-10:

1.  Take part in the 2010 Challenge set by my Pastor at City on a Hill Church.  It's a challenge to read my bible for at least 10 minutes a day for 20 days a month.

2. Finish my Associates Degree and begin my Bachelors program.  If I go nonstop again in 2010 like I did in 2009, I'll finish up my last Associates class in the middle of September.  And I'll be able to begin the Bachelors program right away.  I also plan on graduating with a 3.95 gpa - which gives me some room since right now I have 3.96 - whoo hoo!

3.  Balance my time more effectively between doing housework, school work,  spending time with the kids, and making time for Matt and I.  This is a really hard struggle for me every day and I am really soul searching for a way to accomplish this.  If I'm not doing one thing, I'm feeling guilty for taking part in another.  

4.  Make time for myself.  I give so much of my time to those other things (see #3) that I feel like I never do anything for myself without feeling guilty.  I am determined to start scrapbooking again, finsh my quilt I started two years ago and just go out alone and feel GOOD about it, not bad.

5.  Lose 30 pounds.  I no longer have the excuse of saying it's baby weight.  Hannah is 2 1/2 years old.  I'm debating on whether or not to join a gym once the fees are waived for all of who join at the beginning of the year, but I may just use some of my dvd's at home.

6.  Be Happy.  Being a stay-at-home mom and full time student is very draining.  Many times I lose sight of the tremedous gift I have of being able to stay at home with Hannah all day and greet Emma every day after school.  My patience level has dramatically dropped and I find myself being more uptight than happy.  My depression seems to be slowly coming back full force these last few weeks and I'm determined to not let it take hold.


7.  Continue putting ourselves on a better financial track.  People either think two things about us because I am a stay at home mom.  One is that I need to get a job or the other is that we have "money" because I am able to stay home.  Sure, we would benefit greatly if I was working, but we've made the decision together that I would stay at home for at least another year, but ideally until my degree is completed.  But considering the last three years, we've come a LONG way.  There were dinners of bologna sandwiches and spaghetti with no sauce in the beginning and to see what we've accomplished since "starting over" in Culpeper is truly amazing.  We'll be debt free this year and will do our best to keep our fresh start in the best shape possible.  We've set financial goals for us and broken them down in 3 - 6 month segments and so far we're meeting our goals.  At the rate we're going we'll be ok!


8.  Finally I want to work on my relationships with my family.  I want a close family, a sister I can call my friend, a mom I can call when I need advice.  The beginning of the last 3 years severed our relationship and its a million times better today, but I want it to be the best that it can be.  


I don't think my resolutions are too far fetched.  I think they are absolutely 100% obtainable and I plan on sticking with them and accomplishing each and every one of them.


Happy New Year!

1 comment: