Saturday, January 2, 2010

Climbing Mt. Everest



There she is.  Mt. Everest.  Up until the other day, I really had no interest in her.  I remember listening to Elliott In The Morning a few years back and climbers of many different mountains would be on and talking about their adventures.  Sure, it was interesting.  But my fascination came the other night when watching Everest: Beyond the Limit on the Discovery Channel.  To see these people climbing had me hooked for 2 1/2 hours while I watched 2 1/2 episodes back to back.  It was beyond fascinating.  I knew right then and there that I wanted to climb Mt. Everest before I died!  It takes years of training since most team leaders that you go with require that you have successfully summited other high altitude mountains.  And the cost to climb with some of the best leaders out there range anywhere from $40,000 to $65,000 and I'm sure on up.  It makes me wonder how disappointed someone must be when they have to turn around and not reach the summit!  So I'm determined.  Item #1 on my bucket list is climbing Mt. Everest.  I would NEVER in a MILLION years jump out of an airplane or even bungee jump, but climbing Mt. Everest, now we're talking!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you want to do this! But if I win the lotto, I will fully fund your adventure. And I'll be waiting for you at the bottom and some hot chocolate :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it to Moe and Kayla, and Moe said he'd like to remind you of the "corn maize incident", where you couldn't make it and had to use the emeregency exit. I'd like to remind you of the terror on your face when you rode the baby ferris wheel at the carnival. I'm just sayin'.... Only kidding - I'll put renting a private jet to fly over you and wave on my "bucket list" =) I always think it would be neat to do those "extreme" types of things (like sky diving, climbing Everest, etc.). I'm sure it's a rush, and like nothing else. I'd want to sky dive, if I had 100% guarantee that I wouldn't splat to the ground from parachute failure. But since they can't guarantee me that, I'll probably never do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, good luck finding ways on how to climb the tallest mountain in the world. You remind me of my grandfather who wished to climb the mountain. It's sad that age caught up to him before he could even prepare for the great adventure.

    ReplyDelete