Friday, January 29, 2010

Corn-Sausage Chowder

Another favorite of ours I happened to find in a magazine while waiting for a OB visit while pregnant with Hannah.  It's easy and quick and definitely one of Matt's favorites!

Ingredients:
1 pound bulk pork sausage*
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
3 cups 1/2-inc pieces red potatoes
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano or marjoram, crushed*
1/8 tsp black pepper
One 15 1/4oz can whole-kernel corn, drained
One 14 3/4oz can cream-style corn, undrained
One 12oz can evaporated milk

Directions:
1. In a dutch oven*, cook pork sausage and onion until sausage is brown and onion is tender.  Drain well.
2. Return sausage mixture to dutch oven*.  Stir in potatoes, water, salt, spice and pepper.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until potato is tender.
3. Stir in the whole-kernel corn, cream style corn, and evaporated milk.  Cook and stir until heated through.

Serve with garlic bread if desired.

*I use maple flavored sausage because I like the sweetness; but any flavor would be good (I should try hot)!
*I also use 1.5 pounds of sausage to make it meatier!
*I've used italian seasoning when out of oregano
*I use my stock pot to cook it all in

No comments:

Post a Comment