Friday, May 11, 2012

Summer Reading

One of my favorite past times is to just sit back and relax with a book!  But the past few years the only books I have time to read are textbooks so I really haven't been able to read as much as I like.  Last year, I took part in the Goodreads Book Challenge and read 8 books during the summer.  This year my challenge is to just read, read, read.  I didn't really have a particular number at first, just as many as I can get my hands on, but my list keeps growing and I want to finish them all this summer.  So I've set an official goal of 15 books - yikes!!




Here is what is on my list (in no particular order):












I didn't realize this was a book when the movie came out but my sister let me know.  Like any other book turned movie, I need to read the book first!

I've been following Matt Logelin and his beautiful daughter since her birth and am mad at myself that I haven't read his book yet.

I've heard this is a great book everywhere from facebook to the gym.  I hear it's steamy so I'm a little nervous....

I read Heaven is for Real and LOVED it.  This book is about an adult and his experience in Heaven.

On the flip side...  You could say I'm nervous about this read too...but I hear it's really good!

 I really think I may be reading this book first.  The only Apple product I own is an iPod and I barely know how to operate it but this man fascinates me and I was truly sadden to hear of his untimely death.




I heart Francis Chan.  His book, Crazy Love was great but I hear this one is awesome too!


I'm giving in to the hype and am going to read it.  I had absolutely no interest in the whole Twilight thing but am going to give this a chance... *sigh*


I checked this book out way back in February and never got past the first few pages.  If it's interesting I'll finish it up and pick out another classic!




Our Life Group did this study and it was awesome so I really want to take the time to follow up with the book (and hopefully the devotional)!

I have had this book for awhile now but after being bored to death with his other book, Bringing up Girls, I never picked it up.  I'm desperate for any help/advice I can get at this point for a particular daughter and began reading it today!  The first few pages describe our situation to a "T" and I finally feel like there is hope!




I don't know why but I am quite intrigued to read this.  I heard it was interesting and fascinating and I am really interested in what it has to say!


And that's the beginning... I love memoirs and biographies on controversial and popular figures and I love just a good drama.  I love Brad Meltzer and I'm sad that none of his books are even on this list.  Maybe if I read like superwoman I can get a few in! You may have noticed a few other books in my picture not on the list.  One I checked out from the library but I'm thinking I'm just going to return it and focus on my list.  I can't help it, when I'm in the library I love to check out books even when I don't have time to read them.  The other two my brother-in-law let me borrow and they're definitely in the mix to be read soon!

So, what are your suggestions for a must-read this summer?  Anyone have any of these I can borrow?












   

 

2 comments:

  1. I have Matt's book and can send it to you - or bring it to Hannah's party. Normally, I just give books away after I read them, but this one is beautiful and hardback - so I'd consider it a borrow :) Let me know and I can bring it to you. Then we'll have an excuse to get back together afer you've read it. I'm reading the 2nd book in the Shades of Grey trillogy right now - the first book is SUPER steamy. The second one is too, but there is more of a story there which I like. Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some interesting picks! I may have to check some of them out. I belong to a book club and I'm always looking for good picks. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

    The only ones I have read from your list are:

    the Steve Jobs book (excellent. Loved it).

    The Hunger Games Trilogy (First book, excellent. Second book, pretty good. Third book was the weakest of the three, in my opinion. All very good reads though - and QUICK! Really interesting concept that translated VERY well to a movie).

    Shades of Grey Trilogy (I'm in the middle of #3...and, well, steamy doesn't even begin to describe it. Sadly, if you take away the "steam" there's not a lot left, but I seem to be alone in these thoughts. I agree with Casey above, second book has more story. Worth reading though to see what all the hype is about. I just like a little more "substance" if you know what I mean.)

    HAPPY READING!!!

    ReplyDelete