Sunday, November 21, 2010

The TSA Screening & Pat Downs

Let me start off by saying that my opinion is based solely on the fact that I have flown a total of 2 times in my entire life and that the last time was 9 years ago, November 2001. I was on a small plane headed to Freeport, Bahamas, and by small I mean there were 3 seats on each side of the plane.  But this was still right after 9/11 and I was still a little very scared to be on the plane - but more so of the fact that there was turbulence than of a security threat. 

I am understanding of the new regulations (even though I think it can lead to further violations elsewhere) and this is why:
  • If someone came into a room full of people and said that someone in the room had a bomb strapped to them that was not made of metal - I'm pretty sure everyone would be willing to do whatever in order to prove that they were "free and clear".  Let's move that situation to the airlines - who wants to blow up in an airplane? If there is a possibility that someone could get on an airplane with me that has a bomb on them - THAT is a violation of my constitutional right just as much IF NOT MORE THAN proving my innocence. I would rather go through imaging if it meant that my flight was safe.
  • The airlines are offering us a service and they have a responsibility to keep us safe - plain and simple.  As the terrorists get more creative - the TSA is going to have to increase its security to match them.
But I also disagree with the regulations for a few reasons but let me share in all CAPS that my first reason for agreeing with it SHOULD OUTWEIGH ANY DISAGREEMENT IN MY OPINION.
  • Apparently this imaging is new and not well tested - I wonder how many smokers are complaining about this? Since when do people care that something is not well tested about its long term effects - OH, only when they don't like it. And how many times does the FDA approve something and then realize 20+ years later that its not good for you after all? (OK maybe that didn't help my argument in the way you'd think). I'm not saying that we shouldn't care about the long term effects - please don't take this the wrong way.  I think members of the tea party people are using this as a reason for their "cause".  Further testing should absolutely be required! 
  • This is a violation of my constitutional right - well so is being blown up at 20,000 feet.  'Nuf said.  
  •  I don't agree with the private pat-down rules.  You can request a private pat-down yet there is no one else to supervise the pat-down and no video tape to make sure nothing inappropriate is done.
I recently asked a frequent flier his opinion on the new regulation (part of his opinion: "I've seen the actual scan of a screen, and it's really not a naked picture of someone. There are shadows and shapes discernible, but you can't see the person's flesh. I compare it to getting an MRI or CT scan") and he led me to a respected blog which led me to an article on how the Israeli's conduct Airline Security and I absolutely think that the United States needs to adopt something similar identical.   You can check that article out here.  What are your opinions? What would you do? Would you refuse? Would you go through, no hesitation?

No comments:

Post a Comment