Sunday, November 21, 2010

Homework for Parents

As if I don't have enough school work to do already, Emma came home with an assignment for me (yes, ME) a few weeks ago.  It was actually kind of neat and I had a little while to think about it (but I have a horrible memory and could only come up with a few things!).  

Here was my assignment:
Homework for Parents????? Yes, it's true! Our class is learning that things in the past are different than they are now.  We would like to hear how things have changed since you were in first grade.  We would like for a parent for grandparent from each family to write a paragraph about what life was like when you were in first grade.  Please focus on things that have changed.  When I thought about this topic, I realized that a lot of technology we have today did not exist when I was in first grade.  Your assignment is due on Tuesday, December 4th.  Yes, they may be turned in earlier.  Grades will not be give on this assignment.

And here is what I turned in:

When I was in the First Grade
By: Mrs. Elliott (Emma’s Mom!)

When I was a kid going to school was a lot like it is now - I had lunch, recess, P.E., and even time at the library.   We recited the Pledge of Allegiance every day, had science and math but… a lot of things are different now than they were when I was in school!  In the first grade, I went to Belvedere Elementary School and my teacher’s name was Mrs. Davis.  I didn’t get to ride the bus – I had to walk a VERY LONG way to school, even when it rained (and snowed)!   We only had pizza on Fridays, but I always packed my lunch those days because it wasn’t very good!  We were just beginning to learn to read in the first grade – we weren’t great readers like all of you are now!  And computers? We didn’t have computer lab until at least the 3rd grade because I don’t think computers existed yet!  If we had to do a project about something we couldn’t just look on the internet for the information, we would have to go to the library and find all kinds of books on what we wanted.  And then we had to write EVERYTHING with BIG, FAT pencils!  



I know it kind of just ended, but I wasn't sure how to end it since it was only supposed to be a paragraph and focusing on the differences and they are only 1st graders.  I'm surprised I came up with these things because I barely remember them - I have a few more memories of elementary school altogether, but not of just the first grade.  I hope I pass!

1 comment:

  1. I give you an A! Wow, that would be a tough assignment, since I can barely remember what I wore yesterday. Much less what I did in first grade. You get an A just for remembering those details!

    ReplyDelete